Thursday 1 January 2015

December News

I'm afraid it is just another brief summary again this month.

On the 3rd Dec there were two Chiffchaffs at Westshore and the wintering Whimbrel was in its usual place behind the Sands Hotel.

On the 11th Dec a single Little Auk was seen on the road at Echnaloch Bay before it got light. The observer didn't see any signs, on their way back, that it had been run over so hopefully it made it back into the sea.


On the 13th Dec Barrie had two Jack Snipe, one at Westshore and the other in Burray Village. He also saw 18 Common Snipe on the shore at Westshore.

I decided to go for a little Boxing Day stroll around the Millfield area on the 26th and saw 10 Blackbirds, one Dunnock, eight House Sparrows, nine Redwings, one Robin, one Snipe, 300+ Starlings and a Wren.

A single first winter Glaucous Gull was seen feeding on a dead seal carcass on the Echnaloch Bay beach on the 28th Dec.  

A quick trip down to Echnaloch Bay on the 29th Dec gave me a life tick in the form of the first winter Glaucous Gull, just in time to be added to my Patchwork Challenge list for 2014. There were also eight Great Black-backed Gulls, a mixture of adult and juvenile birds. All were feeding on the two seal carcasses on the beach.

To close the year I'd just like to say thanks to all of you who have been following my blog, to those that have sent me news and comments and I hope you will continue to follow this blog in 2015.

I have made a New Year's resolution to be more proactive in posting news of sightings in 2015. So watch this space!!

No comments:

Post a Comment